Report Concerns

Safeguarding is everybody's responsibility. If you are concerned about a child, contact Stockport Children's Social Care to discuss your worries.

Concerns about children’s welfare range from relatively minor worries about aspects of care, through to clear signs of child abuse. Concerns must be shared.

Members of the Public

If you are a member of the public concerned about a child contact Children’s Social Care on 0161 217 6028, the Out of Hours Team on 0161 718 2118, the Police on 0161 872 5050 or in an emergency by dialling 999.

You can also contact NSPCC Child Protection helpline on 0808 800 5000 or visit the NSPCC website for further information.  You do not have to reveal your identity the important thing is that the information you provide can be used to protect a child.


Practitioners Working With Young People

If you are a practitioner working with children and young people and you have concerns about a child please find guidance below:

  • Your line manager, or named/designated person is usually your first point of contact. They will help you to decide if your concerns warrant further action. If your concerns are about child protection, you should not allow the absence of your manager to delay your contact with Children’s Social Care.
  • You should inform parents of your concerns and about a referral to Children’s Social Care except where the concerns relate to sexual abuse, or fabricated or induced illness.
  • Contact with Children’s Social Care can be made by telephone to the Contact Centre on 0161 217 6028, Out of Hours Team on 0161 718 2118, the Police on 0161 872 5050 or in an emergency by dialling 999. If you phone the Contact Centre you should ask to speak to the Duty Social Worker to discuss your concerns.
  • Referrals made by telephone must be followed up immediately with a written report and a Common Assessment Form. This should be completed for all cases referred by professionals. These forms can be downloaded from the Stockport Council website at In child protection cases, parental consent is not required.
  • If you are unsure whether to refer, consultation and advice is available from the Duty Social Worker at the Contact Centre or the Duty Officer at the Safeguarding Children Unit on 0161 474 5659.